Novak Djokovic has revealed he will miss the rest of the 2017 season due to the elbow injury that forced him out of Wimbledon.
Djokovic withdrew from his quarter-final clash last month with Tomas Berdych early in the second set due to the injury.
The 29-year-old made the announcement via a social media post on Wednesday night AEST.
“This is the decision that had to be made at this moment,” he said.
“I’m just going to talk with specialists, as I have done in the last year or so, try to figure out what’s the best way to treat it and to solve it, to find a long-term solution,” Djokovic said after his Wimbledon exit.
“Obviously short-term it’s probably rest is most appropriate. We will see.”
After his Wimbledon exit, Djokovic revealed he had been battling the injury for around a year and a half.
Djokovic's injury layoff will mean his 51 consecutive grand slam appearances, which is the third longest active streak in men's tennis, will come to an end.